UF Department of Surgery tops in International Educator of the Year Awards 2021

Robin Petroze, MD, MPH, professor in the division of pediatric surgery, and Harvey W. Chim, MD, FACS, professor in the division of plastic and reconstructive surgery, were awarded Junior Faculty International Educator and Senior Faculty International Educator, respectively, for the College of Medicine in the University of Florida’s 2021 International Educator of the Year Awards.

The International Educator of the Year Awards honors the outstanding contributions of faculty and staff to the internationalization of the University of Florida and the impact of those contributions on students, international partners, and university stakeholders.

Robin Petroze, MD, MPH

In addition to her work as a pediatric surgeon, Petroze serves as the assistant chair of global surgery within the UF Department of Surgery and has a joint appointment in the UF Department of Environmental and Global Health. Petroze focuses on all aspects of pediatric surgery, with special interest in neonatal surgery, minimally invasive surgery and surgical oncology. Her research, teaching and advocacy focuses on access to equitable care in underserved populations, both internationally and domestically, as well as patient and family-centered outcomes.

How do international perspectives influence and improve our understanding of medicine?

This is a GREAT question because I feel so passionately that international perspectives really do so much to improve our understanding of medicine. First and foremost, I think this is because it Robin petroze in kenyateaches and reinforces a broad worldview and openness to culture and experiences outside our own. For me, this is profoundly humbling. This promotes growth, creativity, engagement and innovation as well as fostering an openness to the diversity of backgrounds and experiences of our local patients and colleagues. It also puts our own healthcare system in perspective. Sometimes this is very good and highlights how truly fortunate we are to have incredible access to high-end medical resources. Yet, it also puts that privilege into perspective and teaches about health equity, resource utilization and health economics. This is so important for our students and trainees to experience as they are the ones inheriting our broken healthcare system here in the US.

What do you find most rewarding about your work?

Well, the truth is that there are many extremely rewarding things about my work!  Obviously, feeling valued in my skill set to provide pediatric surgical care in a setting with extremely limited access and to really see that this is a special skill set that can make a difference is extremely rewarding. It doesn’t matter what country or setting you are working in–a parent entrusting you with the life of their child is an amazing honor.

But what is even more rewarding over time is being able to develop as a teacher, mentor, and sponsor.  When I have the privilege to work with trainees globally and see them advance in their skills, understanding, and abilities, I know that they are not just making a difference for that patient, but they are setting the foundation for sustainable change.

Having even a small part in the development of training programs that truly will impact thousands of lifetimes is rewarding and humbling at the same time.

For the North American trainees I work with, I find watching their critical thinking develop and engage a global perspective with each of their patients and projects as the most rewarding–for students to recognize the role of social determinants of health, to question how poverty and access impact outcomes and engage to find solutions is the same kind of reward in sustainability and hope for the future.

What is one of the most memorable moments you’ve experienced while teaching at UF?

It’s hard to pick one!  I’m so proud of all the students and trainees I work with. It truly is why I love my job. But, I think the truly memorable moments are those when I get to see a student mature and progress in the way they think about the world and their place in it. There are a few examples of this–I had one student come to me early in medical school wanting to participate in global missions. We started by exploring the science behind global health and academic partnerships with a focus on health equity rather than volunteer missions, and it has been so amazing to watch his progress and maturation. He recently completed a study looking at health access and social vulnerability in our own patients here at UF. This is exactly the goal, right? To harness the altruism and passion of our trainees to make a difference for the patients we treat.

What is one takeaway you hope each of your students retain?

Be passionate. Sometimes we lose the altruism and hope we enter medical school with. International education has truly reinforced for me that you CAN make a difference in the world. So I would encourage each student to remember that they are a valued member of the team and to do what they are passionate about.

Harvey W. Chim, MD, FACS

Chim is an expert in upper and lower extremity limb salvage and brachial plexus and complex peripheral nerve reconstruction. He is referred patients on a routine basis from all over Florida and the Southeastern USA. Other clinical areas of interest include vascularized bone grafts, endoscopic hand and plastic surgery and surgical treatment of migraine headaches. Notably, Chim offers additional reconstructive options to patients who have been told that their only option moving forward is an amputation. Dr. Chim stands holding his award

Most importantly we are able to learn from our international colleagues as there are many treatment options that may not be widely used in the USA. Also we can build new friendships and collaborations with our international colleagues.

I am able to learn from my international colleagues and also exchange ideas about innovative topics in surgery. This benefits the patients we serve.

Memorable moments on a number of occasions are when a resident or medical student has told me I inspired them to pursue a career in plastic surgery or hand surgery. A comment I hear often is that they did not know that plastic surgery had such a wide and broad scope and that there was so much creativity or variation that could be used to formulate the best surgical plan for patients.

They should always do what’s best for patients and never stop learning to improve their skills.