Guanyi Lu, MD, MS, PhD, is an associate professor in the division of vascular surgery and endovascular therapy at the University of Florida College of Medicine. Dr. Lu completed his medical degree at Hebei Medical University at Handan in Handan, China, followed by a general surgery residency at Boading Regional Hospital in Boading, China. He then completed his MS and PhD degree training in Hebei Medical University in Shijiazhuang, China and Tongji Medical University in Wuhan, China respectively, and worked as a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Michigan Transplant Immunology Lab in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Prior to joining UF, Dr. Lu was a research scientist at the University of Virginia Department of Surgery in Charlottesville for eight years. He has contributed as an author to dozens of cardiovascular-related publications. Dr. Lu’s research focus on the mechanism of abdominal aortic aneurysm formation, developing new models of experimental aneurysm and selecting novel approaches for aneurysm treatment. Dr. Lu is also dedicated to assisting other researchers using microsurgery skills in small animal organ transplant models.
- Medical degree: Hebei Medical College at Handan, Handan, China
- Master degree: Hebei Medical University, Shijiazhuang, China
- Doctorate degree: Tongji Medical University, Wuhan, China
- Postdoctoral fellow: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- A novel chronic advanced stage abdominal aortic aneurysm murine model.Lu G, Su G, Davis JP, Schaheen B, Downs E, Roy RJ, Ailawadi G, Upchurch GR Jr. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66(1):232-242
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Attenuate NADPH Oxidase-Dependent High Mobility Group Box 1 Production and Inhibit Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms.Sharma AK, Salmon MD, Lu G, Su G, Pope NH, Smith JR, Weiss ML, Upchurch GR Jr. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2016 May;36(5):908-18.
- Pharmacologic blockade and genetic deletion of androgen receptor attenuates aortic aneurysm formation.Davis JP, Salmon M, Pope NH, Lu G, Su G, Meher A, Ailawadi G, Upchurch GR Jr. J Vasc Surg. 2016 Jun;63(6):1602-1612.
- Interleukin-6 Receptor Inhibition Prevents Descending Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Formation.Pope NH, Salmon M, Johnston WF, Lu G, Lau CL, Upchurch GR Jr, Ailawadi G. Ann Thorac Surg. 2015 Nov;100(5):1620-6.
- Attenuation of aortic aneurysms with stem cells from different genders.Davis JP, Salmon M, Pope NH, Lu G, Su G, Sharma AK, Ailawadi G, Upchurch GR Jr. J Surg Res. 2015 Nov;199(1):249-58.
- Inhibition of interleukin-1β decreases aneurysm formation and progression in a novel model of thoracic aortic aneurysms.Johnston WF, Salmon M, Pope NH, Meher A, Su G, Stone ML, Lu G, Owens GK, Upchurch GR Jr, Ailawadi G. Circulation. 2014 Sep 9;130(11 Suppl 1):S51-9.
- Aromatase is required for female abdominal aortic aneurysm protection.Johnston WF, Salmon M, Su G, Lu G, Ailawadi G, Upchurch GR Jr. J Vasc Surg. 2015 Jun;61(6):1565-74.e1-4.
- Dietary phytoestrogens inhibit experimental aneurysm formation in male mice.Lu G, Su G, Zhao Y, Johnston WF, Sherman NE, Rissman EF, Lau C, Ailawadi G, Upchurch GR Jr. J Surg Res. 2014 May 1;188(1):326-38.
- Phosphorylation of AKT and abdominal aortic aneurysm formation.Ghosh A, Lu G, Su G, McEvoy B, Sadiq O, DiMusto PD, Laser A, Futchko JS, Henke PK, Eliason JL, Upchurch GR Jr. Am J Pathol. 2014 Jan;184(1):148-58.
- Genetic and pharmacologic disruption of interleukin-1β signaling inhibits experimental aortic aneurysm formation.Johnston WF, Salmon M, Su G, Lu G, Stone ML, Zhao Y, Owens GK, Upchurch GR Jr, Ailawadi G. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013 Feb;33(2):294-304.
- Experimental abdominal aortic aneurysm formation is mediated by IL-17 and attenuated by mesenchymal stem cell treatment.Sharma AK, Lu G, Jester A, Johnston WF, Zhao Y, Hajzus VA, Saadatzadeh MR, Su G, Bhamidipati CM, Mehta GS, Kron IL, Laubach VE, Murphy MP, Ailawadi G, Upchurch GR Jr. Circulation. 2012 Sep 11;126(11 Suppl 1):S38-45.
- Increased JNK in males compared with females in a rodent model of abdominal aortic aneurysm.DiMusto PD, Lu G, Ghosh A, Roelofs KJ, Sadiq O, McEvoy B, Su G, Laser A, Bhamidipati CM, Ailawadi G, Henke PK, Eliason JL, Upchurch GR Jr. J Surg Res. 2012 Aug;176(2):687-95.
- Increased PAI-1 in females compared with males is protective for abdominal aortic aneurysm formation in a rodent model.DiMusto PD, Lu G, Ghosh A, Roelofs KJ, Su G, Zhao Y, Lau CL, Sadiq O, McEvoy B, Laser A, Diaz JA, Wakefield TW, Henke PK, Eliason JL, Upchurch GR Jr. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2012 Apr 1;302(7):H1378-86.
- Gender differences in experimental aortic aneurysm formation.Ailawadi G, Eliason JL, Roelofs KJ, Sinha I, Hannawa KK, Kaldjian EP, Lu G, Henke PK, Stanley JC, Weiss SJ, Thompson RW, Upchurch GR Jr. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004 Nov;24(11):2116-22.
- A nonintrinsic regional basis for increased infrarenal aortic MMP-9 expression and activity.Ailawadi G, Knipp BS, Lu G, Roelofs KJ, Ford JW, Hannawa KK, Bishop K, Thanaporn P, Henke PK, Stanley JC, Upchurch GR Jr. J Vasc Surg. 2003 May;37(5):1059-66.
- Theoretical and technical considerations for gene transfer into vascularized cardiac transplants.Lu G, Bishop DK. Methods Mol Biol. 2003;219:135-44