Awards & Recognition
Exciting Developments are in the Works at UF Health!
- Read about the UF Health Heart & Vascular Hospital and the UF Health Neuromedicine Hospital.
- Read about the latest on the new UF Health Shands Children’s Surgical Center.
New practice open in Daytona: UF Health Heart and Vascular Surgery at Halifax Health
The UF department of surgery is excited that several months of planning and work have come to fruition as we officially embark on a new partnership with Halifax Health in Daytona Beach. We will staff the thoracic and cardiovascular surgery needs of Halifax Health with two UF faculty surgeons, Sohit Khanna, M.D., and Cary Meyers, M.D., FACC, FACS. Both physicians began seeing patients on July 7 at our new practice location in Daytona: UF Health Heart and Vascular Surgery – Halifax Health. We are also currently recruiting two vascular surgeons for the practice.
Kevin E. Behrns, M.D., chairman of the department of surgery and the Edward R. Woodward professor of surgery, has accepted roles as co-editor-in-chief of the journal Surgery and as a member of the executive committee of the American College of Surgeons’ board of governors.
UF Liver Researcher Selected from Thousands of Applicants to Speak at Scientific Meeting
Jae-Sung Kim, Ph.D., an associate professor in the UF College of Medicine’s department of surgery and head of the Cell Death and Mitochondrial Biology Laboratory, was one of six presenters at the plenary session on basic science at the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) meeting in Boston in the fall of 2014. The association is the most prominent organization dedicated to liver study in the world. Kim was selected out of more than 4,000 applicants to present during the session, he said. He spoke about his research team’s work to understand the causes and effects of impaired liver cell autophagy following surgery. Autophagy, the cell’s cleanup process, allows it to discard or repair abnormal or old components.
Seven new faculty members join the department
Surgeons practicing primarily at UF Health Shands Hospital include:
- Tiago N. Machuca, M.D., PhD, assistant professor of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery
- Teng C. Lee, M.D., assistant professor of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery
- Jeffrey Friedman, M.D., FACS: Assistant professor of general surgery and bariatric surgery
- R. Stephen Smith, M.D., RDMS, FACS: Professor of acute care surgery
- Mark W. Johnson, M.D., FACS: Professor of transplantation surgery
Surgeons practicing primarily at UF Health Heart and Vascular Surgery – Halifax Health include:
- Sohit Khanna, M.D., assistant professor of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery
- Cary Meyers, M.D., FACC, FACS, assistant professor of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery