Research Day 2017
The department of surgery held its thirteenth annual Research Day on April 12, 2017. The Lester R. Dragstedt Visiting Professor and keynote speaker was Scott A. LeMaire, M.D., a professor of surgery and of molecular physiology and biophysics; vice chair for research, Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery; and director of research, division of cardiothoracic surgery at Baylor College of Medicine.
The following surgeons and residents received the Mentored Resident Research Award ($25,000):
- “Evaluating National Quality and Outcomes Reporting for Elective AAA Repair”; faculty mentor, Kristina Giles, M.D., department of surgery, division of vascular surgery and endovascular therapy; house officer, Suniah Ayub, M.D., M.P.H.
- “Integration of Multi-Omics Data Using Machine Learning Models for Prediction of AKI and Sepsis”; faculty mentor, Azra Bihorac, M.D., department of medicine, division of nephrology, hypertension and renal transplantation; house officer, Nicholas Lysak, M.D.
- “Novel Mechanisms and Approaches to Treat Neonatal Sepsis”; faculty mentor, Shawn Larson, M.D., department of surgery, division of pediatric surgery; house officer, Russell Hawkins, M.D.
The following participants received abstract awards ($500):
- Basic science abstract presentation — Marna List, “ACOMYS: Unlocking a New Pathway to Recognition.”
- Clinical/translation abstract presentation — Anne-Marie Carpenter, “Diversity in General Surgery Residency Leadership: More Work is Needed.”
- Ardelle B. McGray Pancreatic Cancer Research Fund — Michael Gerber, M.D., “Molecular Diagnosis of Pancreatic Cancer Using Soluble Protein Signatures from the Tumor Microenvironment.”