Research Day 2015
The department of surgery held its eleventh annual Research Day on April 15, 2015. Dr. Richard H. Turnage, executive associate dean for clinical sciences and professor and chairman for the department of surgery at University of Arkansas Medical Sciences, was the Lester R. Dragstedt Visiting Professor for this event.
Abstract awards, $500
- CLINICAL/TRANSLATIONAL ABSTRACT PRESENTATION – Jonathan Rehfuss, M.D. (Lab resident) – Abstract #1111: Monocyte gene expression and its relationship to lower extremity vein graft outcome.
- BASIC SCIENCE ABSTRACT PRESENTATION – Ines G. Alamo, M.D. (Postdoctoral Research Assistant) – Abstract #1105: S1P receptors modulate hematopoietic progenitor cell mobilization following trauma/hemorrhagic shock.
Research Career Development awards (RCDA) winners, multiple awards:
- Scott Brakenridge (assistant professor and acute care surgeon): The acute development and persistence of frailty, comorbidity and disability in critically ill patients after intra-abdominal sepsis: “Induced Frailty” $16,000
- Song Han (Assistant Scientist): “Functional Study Of mir-200 Family Members and mir-205 In Cancer-Associated Stroma Induced By Neighboring Pancreatic Cancer Cells” $25,000
- Atif Iqbal (assistant professor and colorectal surgeon): “Development of an objective, reliable, reproducible, validated prediction model for deep pelvic surgery with improved patient outcomes” $12,500
Mentored Resident Research Award, $25,000:
- Faculty Mentor: Adam J. Katz (professor and plastic and reconstructive surgeon)
- House Officer: Dr. James Christian Brown (PGY-2) – “In-Situ Micro-irrigation and Diffusion for Tissue Repair”
Ardelle B. McGray Pancreatic Cancer Research Fund, $500
- New this year, to advance research and improve diagnostic methods, Ken McGray established the Ardelle B. McGray Pancreatic Cancer Research Fund at the University of Florida Foundation in memory of his wife who passed away in 2014. The inaugural Ardelle B. McGray award of $500 was given to Dan Delitto (NIH T32 Postdoctoral Fellow/Lab resident), for the top abstract submitted in the field of “Pancreatic Cancer-Related Research”.