FAQs

What’s the vacation schedule?

Answer:  Housestaff at the University of Florida are awarded 3 weeks (15 days) of vacation each academic year.  During the intern year residents are assigned a 3-week block of vacation, taking preferences into account whenever possible.  All other PGY classes submit vacation requests at the end of the academic year and the administrative chief resident will attempt to meet the vacation request when arranging the clinical rotation schedules. Some clinical rotations do not support vacations.

 

What do the residents do after training?

Answer: About 80% of our chief residents will further their training in a fellowship program (then into academic medicine or private practice). The remainder of our graduates (about 20%) go into private practice immediately following completion of their general surgery training. Please visit the “UF Surgery Graduates” link for more details.

 

What’s the research requirement?

Answer: This is a seven-year program with two years of training in the surgical laboratory. Residents who have demonstrated expertise in the art and science of making contributions to surgical literature are exempt from this requirement.  Some residents may pursue other opportunities for professional development, such as training in Surgical Critical Care or other specialty fellowships, with permission from the Program Director.

 

What are the research opportunities?

Answer: There are more opportunities to engage in research than one could possibly take advantage of during the training period! There are a number of ongoing research opportunities for residents who are interested in the clinical and basic sciences, quality improvement, and patient safety.  Please visit Research for more details.

 

How many cases are done by a resident upon completing the residency?

Answer: Chief residents finish their training with more than enough cases to meet the training requirement set by the American Board of Surgery. Our chief residents also exceed the number of cases required by the ACGME, RRC for Surgery (our accrediting body). Please visit the “Chief Case Log” link for more details.

 

What kind of benefits can I expect?

Answer: Housestaff are provided GatorCare health insurance for themselves, their spouse/domestic partner, and children up to age 26.  Housestaff also receive basic life insurance and long-term disability insurance.  These benefits are provided at no cost to the resident.  Housestaff receive retirement benefits in the form of a mandatory FICA Alternative Plan (401(a) account).

Residents receive a small stipend for meals while on call and have access to resident lounges in each tower stocked with drinks and snacks.   Childcare services are available on the Health Science Center campus.  A well-equipped, resident-only work-out room is open 24 hours a day for workouts that fit your schedule.

To support ongoing academic activity, the Department of Surgery will sponsor travel in most cases for residents accepted to present at national and international conferences.

For more information about housestaff benefits at the University of Florida, visit  our Housestaff Benefits page.

 

What is the salary for residents at the University of Florida?

2019-2020 Stipends

LEVEL ANNUAL SALARY BIWEEKLY RATE
1 $53,844.00 $2,062.99
2 $55,605.00 $2,130.45
3 $57,394.00 $2,199.00
4 $59,839.00 $2,292.68
5 $62,382.00 $2,390.11
6 $64,985.00 $2,489.85
7+ $66,897.00 $2,563.10

 

What is the social life like in Gainesville?

Answer: Although Gainesville is considered a small town by most, it’s BIG in arts, culture, spectator sporting events, outdoor activities (biking, fishing, natural springs, festivals, etc), social/intramural clubs and many other special interest activities. The University of Florida, with its 24 diverse colleges, provides limitless possibilities for innovative, multidisciplinary collaborations. Gainesville is conveniently located about 2 hours from Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Tallahassee.