This year’s Lester R. Dragstedt Visiting Professor and keynote speaker was Scott A. LeMaire, M.D., a professor of surgery and of molecular physiology and biophysics; vice chair for research, Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery; and director of research, division of cardiothoracic surgery at Baylor College of Medicine.
The following surgeons and residents received the Mentored Resident Research Award ($25,000):
- “Evaluating National Quality and Outcomes Reporting for Elective AAA Repair”; faculty mentor, Kristina Giles, M.D., department of surgery, division of vascular surgery and endovascular therapy; house officer, Suniah Ayub, M.D., M.P.H.
- “Integration of Multi-Omics Data Using Machine Learning Models for Prediction of AKI and Sepsis”; faculty mentor, Azra Bihorac, M.D., department of medicine, division of nephrology, hypertension and renal transplantation; house officer, Nicholas Lysak, M.D.
- “Novel Mechanisms and Approaches to Treat Neonatal Sepsis”; faculty mentor, Shawn Larson, M.D., department of surgery, division of pediatric surgery; house officer, Russell Hawkins, M.D.
The following participants received abstract awards ($500):
- Basic science abstract presentation — Marna List, “ACOMYS: Unlocking a New Pathway to Recognition.”
- Clinical/translation abstract presentation — Anne-Marie Carpenter, “Diversity in General Surgery Residency Leadership: More Work is Needed.”
- Ardelle B. McGray Pancreatic Cancer Research Fund — Michael Gerber, M.D., “Molecular Diagnosis of Pancreatic Cancer Using Soluble Protein Signatures from the Tumor Microenvironment.”