Jae-Sung Kim, PhD
Dr. Kim’s research focus is to understand the role of autophagy, a process that efficiently eliminates cellular constituents and abnormal or dysfunctional mitochondria, in liver diseases, such as ischemia/reperfusion injury, cirrhosis and cancer. Ischemia/reperfusion injury occurs in many circumstances, including surgery, organ preservation for transplantation, veno-occlusive disease, hemorrhagic shock-resuscitation, and heart failure. Reperfusion of ischemic tissue promotes onset of the mitochondrial permeability transition (MPT), a causative event contributing to both apoptotic and necrotic cell death.
Dr. Kim’s laboratory is applying laser scanning single and multiphonton confocal microscopy to elucidate cellular and molecular mechanisms leading to impaired autophagy and the MPT after liver diseases.
- NIH/NIDDK R01 DK079879
- NIH/NIDDK R01 090115
- NIH/NIA P30 028740
1. Kim J-S and Southard JH. (1997) Effect of liver preservation on hepatocyte calcium and ATP generation. Transplant. Proc. 29, 3447-3448.
2. Kim J-S, Boudjema K, D’Alessandro A. and Southard JH. (1997) Machine perfusion of the liver : Maintenance of mitochondrial function after 48-hour preservation. Transplant. Proc. 29, 3452-3454.
3. Kim J-S and Southard JH. (1998) Alteration in cellular calcium and mitochondrial functions in the rat liver during cold preservation. Transplantation 65, 369-375.
4. Kim J-S and Southard JH. (1999) Membrane stabilizing effects of calcium and taxol during the cold storage of isolated rat hepatocytes. Transplantation 68, 938-943.
5. Kim J-S and Southard JH. (1999) Phospholipid metabolism of hypothermically stored rat hepatocytes. Hepatology 30, 1232-1240.
6. Kim J-S and Southard JH. (2000) Effect of phospholipase A2 inhibitors on the release of arachidonic acid and cell viability in cold-stored hepatocytes. Cryobiology 40, 27-35.
7. Lemasters JJ, Qian T, He L, Kim J-S, Elmore SP, Cascio WE and Brenner DA. (2002) Role of mitochondrial inner membrane permeabilization in necrotic cell death, apoptosis and autophagy. Antioxid. Redox. Signal 4, 769-781.
8. Kim J-S, Qian T and Lemasters JJ. (2003) Mitochondrial permeability transition in the switch from necrotic to apoptotic cell death in ischemic rat hepatocytes. Gastroenterology 124, 494-503.
9. Kim J-S, He L and Lemasters JJ. (2003) Mitochondrial permeability transition: a common pathway to necrosis and apoptosis. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 304, 463-470.
10. Kim J-S, He L, Qian T and Lemasters JJ. (2003) Role of the mitochondrial permeability transition in apoptotic and necrotic death after ischemia/reperfusion injury to hepatocytes. Curr. Mol. Med. 3, 527-535.
11. Kim J-S, Ohshima S, Pediaditakis P and Lemasters JJ. (2004) Nitric oxide protects rat hepatocytes against reperfusion injury mediated by the mitochondrial permeability transition. Hepatology 39, 1533-1543.
12. Kon K, Kim J-S, Jaeschke H, and Lemasters JJ. (2004) Mitochondrial permeability transition in acetaminophen-induced necrotic and apoptotic cell death to cultured mouse hepatocytes. Hepatology 40, 1170-1179.
13. Kim J-S, Ohshima S, Pediaditakis P, and Lemasters JJ. (2004) .Nitric oxide: a signaling molecule against the mitochondrial permeability transition-and pH-dependent cell death after reperfusion. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 37, 1943-1950.
14. Kim J-S, Jin Y, and Lemasters JJ (2006). Reactive oxygen species, but not Ca2+ overloading, trigger ph- and mitochondrial permeability transition-dependent death of adult rat myocytes after ischemia/reperfusion. Am J Physiol 290. H2024-H2034.
15. Raval J, Lyman S, Nitta T, Mohuczy M, Lemasters, JJ, Kim, J-S and Behrns KE (2006) Basal reactive oxygen species determine the susceptibility to apoptosis in cirrhotic hepatocytes. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 41. 1645-1654.
16. Kim J-S and Lemasters JJ (2006) Opioid receptor-independent protection of ischemic rat hepatocytes by morphine. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 351. 958-964
17. Black D, Lyman S, Qian T, Lemasters JJ, Rippe RA, Nitta T, Kim J-S and. Behrns KE. (2007) Transforming growth factor beta mediates hepatocyte apoptosis through Smad3 generation of reactive oxygen species. Biochimie 89. 1464-1473.
18. Kim J-S, Nitta T, Mohuczy D, O’Malley KA, Moldawer LL, Dunn WA and Behrns KE. (2008) Impaired autophagy: A mechanism of mitochondrial dysfunction in anoxic rat hepatocytes. Hepatology 47:1725-1736.
19. Nitta T *, Kim J-S *, Mohuczy D, and Behrns KE. (2008) Murine cirrhosis induces hepatocyte epithelial mesenchymal transition and alterations in survival signaling pathways. Hepatology 48. 909-919. *co-first authors.
20. Uchiyama A, Kim J-S, Kon A, Jaeschke H, Ikejima K, Watanabe S, and Lemasters JJ. (2008) Translocation of iron from lysosomes into mitochondria is a key event during oxidative stress-induced hepatocellular injury. Hepatology 48. 1644-1654.
21. Kim RD, Kim J-S, Watanabe G, Mohuczy D, and Behrns KE. (2008) Liver regeneration and the atrophy-hypertrophy complex. Semin Intervent Radiol. 25. 92-103.
22. Watanabe G, Behrns KE, Kim J-S and Kim RD. (2009) .Heat shock protein 90 inhibition abrogates hepatocellular cancer growth through cdc2-mediated G(2)/M cell cycle arrest and apoptosis. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 64. 433-443.
23. Xu J, Marzetti E, Seo AY, Kim J-S, Prolla TA and Leeuwenburgh C. (2010) The emerging role of iron dyshomeostasis in the mitochondrial decay of aging. Mech Ageing Dev 131. 487-493.
24. Kon K, Kim J-S, Uchiyama A, Jaeschke H and Lemasters JJ. (2010) Lysosomal Iron Mobilization and Induction of the Mitochondrial Permeability Transition in Acetaminophen-Induced Toxicity to Mouse Hepatocytes. Toxicol Sci 117. 101-108.
25. Pediaditakis P, Kim J-S, He L, Zhang X, Graves LM and Lemasters JJ (2010) Inhibition of the mitochondrial permeability transition by Protein kinase A in rat liver mitochondria and hepatocytes. Biochem J 431.411-421.
26. Wang J-H, Ahn I-S, Fisher TD, Byeon J-I, Dunn Jr. WA, Behrns KE, Leeuwenburgh C and Kim J-S. (2011) Autophagy suppresses age-dependent ischemia and reperfusion injury in livers of mice. Gastroenterology In Press.
27. Wang J-H, Behrns KE, Leeuwenburgh C and Kim J-S. (2011) critical role of autophagy in ischemia/reperfusion injury to aged livers. Autophagy In Press.