Chief Resident Profile: Luke G. Gutwein, M.D.

KONICA MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERAGutwein is from Francesville, Indiana and majored in biomedical engineering at Purdue University. His medical degree is from Indiana University. He and his wife, a UF nurse practitioner and instructor, have 3 children.

Q: What drew you to UF for residency?
A: Warm weather and the stature of UF.

Q: What has stood out to you about the surgical residency program here?
A: At the resident social night, I sensed camaraderie among the residents.

Q: Which people have been most influential in your time at UF, and why?
A: Dr. Ang was a mentor providing valuable feedback in a sincere manner. When I think of UF, I will never forget Dr Lottenberg and this Bible verse: “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” (Proverbs 27:17) Dr. Grobmyer provided valuable opportunities for research.

Q: In what type of surgery do you plan to specialize?
A: Plastic and reconstructive surgery

Q: What motivated you to pick that specialization?
A: Anatomy, dissection and problem solving.  I like the breadth of plastic surgery … it’s been stated plastic surgeons operate on the skin and its contents.

Q: Do you plan to complete a fellowship?
A: Yes, in plastic and reconstructive surgery at Indiana University.

Q: Please briefly describe some of the things you’ve learned or challenges you’ve faced during residency, how you overcame them? What role (if any) did others involved in the residency program (peers, attending physicians or UF faculty) play in helping you through these scenarios?
A: Becoming a doctor and learning to care for patients was the toughest transition in life I have encountered thus far.  Gaining confidence through experience was the key.

Q: Is there anything else you’d like to say about yourself, the residency program, etc.?
A: My wife of 13 years is a beautiful woman with much resolve. I admire her patience and support through the last six years.